Monday 20 August 2007

Email Notifier - PopTray

I have many email accounts (during the old days), use them for different reasons. There is a time where I'm lazy to login into every of my email accounts just to see if there is new email. Ahh.. just now I login into my Brunet account, the last time I login was a long time ago, maybe almost two years. Actually, I can leave my ThuderBird open so that it can constantly check for new emails but I want another way to auto check for new emails.

"PopTray started as a little POP3 mail checker I wrote, because I couldn't find a freeware program that had all the features I wanted. Since then, new features have been added by request. After years of refinement PopTray 3.0 has now become a full-featured, customizable, e-mail notifier, but keeping its ease of use" (Ref: Renier Crause, PopTray)

Basically, the program is written for email providers that support POP protocol (e.g. Brunet mail, Yahoo mail). Later, plugins are created to support other mail protocols such as POP SSL (e.g GMail), IMAP, Hotmail Plugin, GMail plugin and so on. It has another interesting features, you can read more about them in the website here.

Time for technical stuffs!!!

Steps:-

1) Download the program here. (Current latest version is ver 3.2)

2) Install it as usual!!! (Type of installation: Full)

3) After installation, you should notice an icon of "mail" inside your taskbar. Right-click the icon and click Options. See the screenshot below (I like my wallpaper.. :D).



4) A pop-up window will appear. To add a mail account, just follow the sequence like in the screenshot below. In this example, I use Brunet mail, so the server address is "pop3.brunet.bn".

note: for other email provider, get the server information (e.g server address, port number) from the email provider.




5) By default the program will check for new mail in every 5 minutes. The screenshot below (actually got many spam plang.. deleted them) shows the preview of any new mails received. Click "To Tray" to run the program in background.



5. Ah.. what else, actually I usually change the program Options. You can explore it there, like double-click the trayicon behavior, start-up behavior, plug-in and so on!!!

No comments: